Breitling Avenger Seawolf
Why We Love it
Why We Love it–
Breitling has long been purveyor of chronographs to pilots, but in the 1950's, the popularity of dive watches like the Rolex Submariner and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms pushed the company to enter that race.
In 1957, Breitling released both a time-only dive watch, the SuperOcean Reference 1004, and a chronograph in the form of the Reference 807. These timepieces would be the start of a long-lasting and ever-evolving line of nautical watches loved by many — a line continued in recent decades by the likes of the Avenger Seawolf.
The Avenger Seawolf picks up the dive watch story where the SuperOceans of the 1950s left off. This particular example is housed in a 43mm stainless steel case with a sapphire crystal, a signed crown, and a unidirectional, ratcheting steel dive bezel. Designed for maximum legibility, it features a satin black dial with applied luminous indices, a matching handset, and a date wheel at 3:00. Powered by a COSC-certified automatic Calibre B17 movement from Breitling based on the ETA 2824-2, it comes paired to a matching stainless steel 'slant-link' bracelet with a signed locking clasp.
If you’ve been on the hunt for an excellent, serious dive watch watch with some heft, you've found it. Once more, it's from one of the best brands in the game.
The company first started manufacturing wrist chronographs as early as the 1930s. In 1936 they became an official supplier to military forces of the United Kingdom and Canada. While perhaps best known for the Navitimer and Chronomat lines — which were used heavily by pilots of many nations — Breitling also produced scores of other chronograph models that merit consideration, such as the more affordable Top Time and Premier. Dive watches, such as the Super Ocean, are also part of the company’s offerings.
The late 1970s was a turbulent time for the Swiss watch industry, and many storied houses were swept away by the Quartz Crisis. By 1978, Breitling was in trouble due to the illness of its leader, Willy Breitling, and the steep decline in sales that had cut through the entire industry. Unable to keep operations going, the company was liquidated, and parts, toolings and naming rights were sold off.
Between 1979 and 2017, Breitling continued under the ownership of the Schneider family. In 2017 an 80% stake in the firm was sold to a British private equity firm, with the remaining 20% sold in 2018. In 2019, the company released the caliber B01, an in-house, automatic chronograph movement that’s since found its way into the Chronomat and Navitimer collections, bringing the tale of this famed manufacturer full circle.
Analog:Shift stands behind the authenticity of our products in perpetuity.
Since our pieces are vintage or pre-owned, please expect wear & patina from usage and age. Please read each item description and examine all product images.
We back each Analog:Shift vintage timepiece with a one-year mechanical warranty from the date of purchase.
Please contact us prior to purchase for additional details on shipping and payment options.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns+
All of our watches include complementary insured shipping within the 50 states.
Most of our products are on hand and will ship directly from our headquarters in New York City. In some cases, watches will be shipped directly from one of our authorized partners.
We generally ship our products via FedEx, fully insured, within 5 business days of purchase. An adult signature is required for receipt of all packages for insurance purposes. Expedited shipping is available at an additional cost. We are also happy to hand deliver your purchase in Manhattan or you may pick it up at our showroom.
Returns must be sent overnight or by priority international delivery, fully insured and paid for by the customer. A restocking fee may apply. Watches must be returned in the same condition as initially shipped.
We welcome international buyers, please contact us prior to purchase for additional details on shipping and payment options.
Breitling Avenger Seawolf